Tuesday, April 13, 2010

4-12-10 Weeding

Yesterday I pulled a bunch of weeds out of the main flowerbeds and a little bit of them out of the plot near the old chapel. I also trimmed the border plants. I can't remember what they're called (since I didn't plant them) but I noticed that similar plants in front of my condo building were trimmed down to accommodate new growth. I'm by no means a master gardener so I learn things as I go and by watching other gardens.

I didn't get a chance to plant anything yesterday but I should have with the rain coming.
I did get to plant some dahlias and freesia bulbs the other week. Before that I planted some echinacea bulbs. I have a little crepe myrtle sapling coming up in the middle of my flowerbed that I need to transplant to a better spot. I'm not sure where that would be but I'll weigh my options and bring my shovel.

Maybe next year I can suggest that the women's group put on a garden sale and we can sell any other crepe myrtle saplings that come up along with other surplus plants from the garden. I know some of the plants cost quite a bit at the nursery.

This weekend, if it doesn't rain too hard, I wanted to harvest some lilies of the valley from my mom's friend's yard. Right around the end of April and beginning of May is their peak blooming time.

No comments:

Post a Comment