Thursday, October 28, 2010

They Like It; They Really, Really Like It

I did a ton of work last week clearing the lower branches from the smaller trees, weeding, trimming the hedges, planting, and most importantly I mulched. My friend Kevin helped me heap the mulch into his flatbed at Lowes and unload it at the church. It would have taken several trips or I would have had to rent one of their trucks if it hadn't been for his generous offer to help. So, thank you Kevin J.* for helping on Saturday!

Anyway, it took me four hours to do all of the mulching and limb clearing on Saturday and I was exhausted when it was finished. But, it was totally worth it because the mulch really makes the plants pop. In fact, on Sunday at the early service, Dorothy M. stood up and thanked "whoever had planted the flowers in the pots out front." I wasn't going to get up and say, "I did it!" I had every intention of being the phantom gardener. But Celeste, our Pastor, said "I know who did it. It was Heather. And she's been doing all of the other gardening as well." So everyone clapped and I waved from my pew. It was nice to get the round of applause.

I also got this email the next day from Nancy D.:
" Hi! I think you are the one who did the planters at the church entrances? I just want to echo the praise that Dorothy M. gave at the early service today. What a difference it makes! The place looks much more welcoming, bright, cheerful, & cared for! Thanks so much for caring & being willing to do the work."

I'm so happy that the landscaping makes people happy. I don't do the work for praise but it is nice once in a while to get positive feedback. I don't really garden and landscape at the church for any particular reason. I just see it as a way I can give back to my faith community and my fellow parishioners. It's also a healthy outlet and a stress reducer. I can go up to the garden and get a full body workout and be alone with my thoughts for a few hours. Plus, it's nice to do work with tangible results at the end. It's exciting for me to watch things grow that I've planted. It's also exciting to see things grow that I didn't plant and wonder what will pop up next and what it'll look like when it's matured. There are setbacks, mysteries, and a little bit of heartache as well. But, it's all a part of gardening  in a very public setting. The joys far outweigh the pains so I'll keep coming back. 

* all last names have been changed to initials just in case people don't want their identities floating around in cyberspace.  

No comments:

Post a Comment