Thursday, July 8, 2010

Anchors Away

Okay, so the title for this post is a bit misleading. I didn't somehow combine gardening at the church with sailing. However, with all of my work with hoses, reels, and water I feel like I was coiling and uncoiling ropes on a ship for the past few days. Specifically it reminded me of the time Amy, Marcin, and I went sailing on a replica tall ship and helped pull the ropes to raise the sails.

Last weekend I bought two new hoses and two more hose reels to keep things organized. One of the hoses was tentatively going to be connected to the spigot I found on the front of the old chapel to the bottom left of the old stained glass window. But, I think the water has been shut off to this spigot and the wheel to turn the water off and on has been removed. I found a replacement wheel which didn't fit so I had to use a wrench and that's when I realized that the water wasn't going to come out.

So, back to the drawing board. I needed some way to get water to the main garden which is across the driveway from the old chapel. I'm not good at estimating feet but I'm going to guess that it is over 100 ft away from the spigot in the children's garden. I cheated on this estimation because I attached a 100 ft hose to the spigot and tried to reach the main garden with poor results. That's when I realized I could connect the 50 ft hose I already had to the spigot and stretch that to the playground fence and attach it to a hose reel just outside of the fence. Then, I could attach a 100 or 150 ft hose to the reel and stretch that to the main garden. This was all done of course during our heat wave. It was 102 degrees F at the hottest part of the day! So I waited to do all of the work until after 6pm so the sun wasn't adding to the mix. I also took frequent water and air condition breaks. It was well worth the effort though. Now I don't have to make several trips with the watering can from the playground to the main garden and I can give the plants a good soaking which is important in this heat. 

The other hoses I attached were over near the kitchen window and among the hydrangeas to the spigot Barry had told me was fixed (and it was fixed!). The kitchen window hose reaches to the tower garden and the roses as well as the kitchen garden and the flower pots in front of the elevator entrance. The hose among the hydrangeas reaches the hydrangeas. There isn't anything else planted on that side of the church as of yet. I want to put some pots on the porch outside of the upstairs, main entrance. No one really uses this entrance but the porch has a lot of potential. Ideally I imagine this space with big pots filled with miniature trees, shrubs, and flowers. I can also see some rocking chairs and/or benches for people to lounge in and visit with one another. It's a covered area and is quite large so it would be perfect for a little outdoor fellowship area. I think I already mentioned this but, I need to get onto some of the committees that deal with the landscaping and maintenance of the building and grounds. I don't want to start a project like that until I have an okay from the committee. I'll keep you posted on that.    

No comments:

Post a Comment