Monday, May 23, 2011

New Plants for a New Year


lavender and oregano


So a new growing year has started and everything is well under way. The vegetable garden has been planted. Two hanging baskets have been added to the big pine tree in front of the church. The tulips around the cross have come and gone. And there is still a ton of weeding to be done.



strawberries
brussels sprouts
bush tomatoes
mini and regular sunflowers
I'd like to say a sincere thank you to my friend Kyle for helping me plant the carrots and other leftover seedlings this past Saturday. It was a hot afternoon and I think it was a little more than he signed up for. So thanks again Kyle. Your help was greatly appreciated.

cherry tomatoes and basil
snow peas

thyme and rosemary
eggplant, sunflower, cucumbers

Speaking of the vegetable garden, I should probably tell you what is planted in there this year. I started a bunch of things from seed this Spring and didn't label them very well so some of them are a bit of a mystery. But we'll find out what they are for sure in a month or so when everything starts to mature and really produce the produce. Anyway, here's what I planted from left to right if you start closest to the tower entrance and follow the wall along the playground: 2 different kinds of lavender, oregano, strawberries, brussels sprouts, bush tomatoes, basil, mini sunflowers and 2 regular sunflowers, more tomatoes, snow peas, thyme, rosemary, yellow bell pepper, egg plant, cucumbers, carrots, jalapenos, and marigolds around everything to keep the pests away. I'm hoping for a decent crop of fruits and veggies this year. So far I've harvested a handful of strawberries and a small bowl full of snow peas which have all been delicious. I'm hoping that by the time the garden is in full swing that we'll have so much produce that we'll have enough to give to Rising Hope up the street which is a mission church where they feed the homeless. We will definitely have enough cucumbers and jalapenos to share. One would think that spicy jalapenos wouldn't be the first item on a homeless person's list of foods to crave. But, one of my friends who has fed the homeless a lot in the past said that she had quite a few of the guys asking for hot sauce and the like. Anyway, so we have a good veggie garden planted and growing.

jalapeno and bell peppers

The next step is to plant the annuals for the summer. I have a few flats of marigolds, impatiens, and petunias. Hopefully I can get those in this week if the rain will ever let up. Don't get me wrong, I love the rain. But, it has rained enough the past few weeks and I would like a good long, dry afternoon so I can pull weeds and get some plants in.



No comments:

Post a Comment