Monday, May 21, 2012

Strawberries Changing the World

You might wonder from the title how a tiny strawberry can change the world. Well, let me explain. I've been collecting strawberries from the garden for the past week or two, enough to fill one of those regular sized plastic cartons from the store. I was wondering what to do with them and so I got to thinking.

The garden is paid for through tithes by the parishioners. So technically all of the produce belongs to the congregation. I'm always telling people that they are welcome to pick what they need. However, I'm kind of glad that they let me pick everything and then bring it in every Sunday to share. That way I can pick things when they're ripe and assure that everyone has a fair chance to get what they want/need each week.

So, the only plants that are producing enough fruit to share right now have been the strawberries. Let me stop and explain that I'm no expert on the care of strawberry plants. I didn't realize that slugs and snails love strawberries and will eat little holes in them if you don't protect the plants and put mulch or straw (strawberries, get it) down around them. Most of the strawberries I was picking were either half-ripe or had a small hole or two from the slugs. I didn't throw them away though. I just cut the hole out and the rest of the berry was fine. I even ate a few to make sure they wouldn't make people sick and they were delicious and they didn't make me sick.

Then I started thinking about upcoming church functions where I could serve the strawberries and where they would do the most good. It didn't dawn on me until Amy Lyon asked if I was bringing something for the "Change the World" bake sale that I could make a dessert with the berries. The proceeds from the bake sale would then be used to buy much-needed books for Groveton Elementary School's reading program. So there you have how strawberries can change the world. Who knows what greatness those books will spark in the kids at Groveton.

Thanks again to Tracy for putting the Buy Fresh Buy Local magnet behind the pies. That added a lot to their attraction. Oh, and if you're curious about the recipe I can tell you what ingredients I used but not the proportions.

Mini Strawberry Pies:
- mini graham cracker crusts
- strawberries mixed with agave nectar and cinnamon
- topping of brown sugar, vanilla flavored granola, and butter

Here are more pictures of the Change the World weekend event at MVUMC

No comments:

Post a Comment