Thursday, May 20, 2010

Topsy Turvy Children's Garden

I started work in the children's garden that lines the playground. So far I installed three Topsy Turvy planters on shepherd hooks. Two planters have tomato plants and the third has cucumbers. I had two extra cucumber plants so I planted them in the ground on either side of the topsy turvy as an experiment. Then I planted some marigolds around the shepherd hook with the tomato plants to add color and to deter pests. On my trip home from the beach this past weekend I bought some watermelon plants and I am going to plant those today since it has finally stopped raining.


Last week I also added some flower pots outside of the old chapel entrance. There were only empty pots stacked on either side of the door before. I just hope that people don't put their cigarette butts in my plants like they did in the empty old pots. I might have to put a pot with sand in it and a little scooper for the smokers. If you can't beat 'em you might as well give 'em a sanitary and acceptable place to extinguish their cigarettes. After planting the pots I ended up with an extra pink flowering plant who's name slips my mind. So I planted it on the edge of the main garden to add some color until the Dahlias start to flower.


1 comment: